Original recipe was posted on Hellabitters.com. Thank you to our friends at Hella Bitters for sharing their recipe with us.
Our friends at Hella Bitters love a good Old Fashioned. This quintessential and storied cocktail has infinite variations, many inspired by regional ingredients. When mixed properly this drink is delightfully well balanced. There’s a ritual and patience required for this cocktail. Feel free to substitute any aged spirit for the whiskey.
- 2 oz rye whiskey (or your favorite aged spirit)
- 1 large sugar cube or 1 tsp sugar
- 3-5 dashes Hella Bitters Aromatic
- thick cut orange peel for garnish
- Add sugar and bitters to rocks glass.
- Wait up to 30 seconds so bitters can saturate and soften sugar. Muddle well.
- Add whiskey or aged spirit of your choice and stir gently until most of the sugar is dissolved.
- Add enough ice to stick out above the liquid. Stir again for 8-10 seconds.
- For garnish, take a nice thick slice of orange peel and roll it in your fingers skin side down over the drink expelling it’s essential oils.
- Stick the peel into the glass vertically.
Hella Bitters, a company partly born on the west coast but with real New York character, was started by Tobin, Eddie and Jomaree. We at CMB have watched them grow and have carried their products for 2 years along with our growing selection of Bitters in our store. You can see a photo of Tobin above mixing cocktails at our fall event in our store last year. Hella Bitters thrives to provide a delicious, meticulously hand-crafted alternative to mass produced cocktail bitters. Find out more about them www.hellabitters.com and follow them @hellabitters.